Domain Wide Enablement
Getting Groove email or calendar sync up and running usually requires users to go through an OAuth process that allows Groove to access your Google and Salesforce data. Even though this is a simple process, in practice it is a risk to rely on that process if you have a larger number of users in your organization and want sync to work reliably. Typically some users won't understand how to do it, some users will log in using their personal Gmail account, some users will revoke access by mistake or Google will revoke access if a user changes their password.
Domain Wide Enablement (DWE) allows you to avoid all these issues by giving Groove access to all your users' email and calendar data using a service account. This method is called Domain Wide Enablement since you can enable/disable email and calendar sync selectively for each user from the Groove user management page.
In order to activate Domain Wide Enablement follow these steps:
Installing the Groove Marketplace app in Google Apps
Install the Groove Marketplace App in your G-Suite (Google apps) admin console.
1. In the Google apps management console click Apps > Marketplace apps
2. Click on the + button to add a Marketplace app
3. In the search window search for "Groove"
4. In the search result find "Groove: Gmail & Google Calendar Integration for Salesforce" and click the button + INSTALL APP
5. Accept the permissions that Groove requests and agree to Groove's terms and finish the installation
6. Double check that you have granted Groove all the required permissions. In the G-Suite admin console click Security > Show More > Advances Settings > Manage API client access. You should see a row in the list for Groove with a list of all the permissions you have granted Groove.
Create a Salesforce service account
- This is the Salesforce account which will be used by Groove in order to read and write email and calendar events to Salesforce when Groove calendar or email sync is enabled.
- We recommend to use a dedicated account with the user name groove@<yourdomain> rather than the account of a real user in order to avoid confusion. In any case this account must have System admin privileges.
- IMPORTANT: Assign a Groove license to the service account user
- IMPORTANT: it is vital for Groove sync that this account remains activated and its connected apps permissions remain active. If you disable this account or revoke permissions to Groove for this account, or un-assign the Groove license, email and calendar sync will be broken for all of your users.
Activate Domain Wide sync and test
- Log out of Salesforce (important)
- Open https://app.grooveapp.com/organizations/manage?tab=MY%20ORG
- In the section Domain-Wide Sync click on Connect a Salesforce Service Account. This will take you through the Salesforce login flow where you should login with the credentials of the Salesforce service account you created previously.
- Back in the Groove page open https://app.grooveapp.com/organizations/manage?tab=MY%20ORG again.
- Click on the button Test Permissions and wait for a green alert in the top right corner. If you see a red alert, contact Groove support
- If you have tested the permissions successfully, check the box Activate Domain Wide Enablement and click Save
Activate Email or Calendar sync for select users
- After you have activated Domain Wide Enablement you can now decide for which of your users calendar or email sync shall be activated.
- Go here to see a list of all Salesforce users
- Check the box for each user you want to enable/disable email or calendar sync
- In the Actions menu select Update email sync settings or Update calendar sync settings respectively and activate/deactivate email or calendar sync
- If you select more than 3 users, the process of activating email or calendar sync might take several minutes. Groove will send you an email as soon as the process is completed.
Note: If users have email aliases, you will want to populate the fields 'Email Alias 1' and 'Email Alias 2' on the User's profile. Failing to do so may result in the Assigned To of records being set to the service account set up to sync emails and events.