With Groove, you can log all of your emails to prospects and clients to Salesforce without lifting a finger. This way you can ensure that all the most important conversations with prospects and clients are logged for your and your team's visibility going forward.
Where will my emails get logged in Salesforce?
Your emails get logged in Salesforce based on the Related-To Lookup Logic that your SFDC/Groove admin configures for your team. Based on your team's settings, Groove will find the most relevant record(s) to log the email to in Salesforce. This means that Groove will search Salesforce for the lead, contact(s), account, and opportunities that are most relevant for the email to be associated with, and attach it automatically for you once you log the email.
Logging an Outbound Email to Salesforce
*Both Outlook web and desktop users can follow the process below to send tracked emails. There are slight differences in where the options show up in both web and desktop, which are explained below*
1. In Outlook, open a new message
*If you already have a message open and drafted from the previous guide on templates, feel free to skip ahead to step 6*
2. In the To: box, include a recipient who is a lead or contact in Salesforce; ideally, a test/dummy lead or contact in your Salesforce for the first go at it
3. Draft a message
4a. Users on Outlook web: Open Groove by clicking the Groove icon in your Message Surface. If it's not there, you can open it by clicking the 3 dots and selecting Open Groove
4b. Users on Outlook desktop: Open Groove by clicking Open Groove in the Top Ribbon
5. On the right hand-side, make sure the box for Log Email Activity is checked
- If it is checked and grayed out, you have Auto-log all emails. This means that all inbound and outbound emails will get automatically logged to Salesforce and related to the correct lead, contact, account, and opportunity
- If it checked but not grayed out, you have Auto-log only outbound emails enabled
- If it is unchecked, you have Manually log selected emails enabled
*If you'd like to change your Email Logging settings, click the Settings icon to the bottom right of the Groove add-in
6. Click Send with Groove.
- Outlook web users can click Send with Groove in the Groove taskpane on the right hand side, or within the shortcuts menu in the Message Surface
- Outlook desktop users can click Send with Groove in the Groove taskpane on the right hand side, or within the shortcuts in the Top Ribbon
Your message is now sent and logged to Salesforce! You can also open the email in your sent folder to checked the logged status of that email:
Logging an Inbound Email to Salesforce
If you have Auto-log all emails turned on in your settings, any inbound email that is related to a Salesforce record will be automatically logged for you. If you do not have Auto-log all emails on or if an inbound email is not already related to a Salesforce record, you can manually log these emails to Salesforce.
- Open the email you'd like to log to Salesforce
- Open your Groove add-in if it is not already open, and click Log to Salesforce
- You will get a confirmation showing you that the email is "Logged to Salesforce" if Groove found relevant records to log to. If not, you will see an error message describing with the email failed to log.
Troubleshooting Logging Issues
There are times when your emails fail to log to Salesforce, for a a few different reasons. The most common of those are:
- Your Groove account has lost connection to your Salesforce account. If this happens, Groove will prompt you to re-login to Salesforce
- All recipients of the email are all internal, where the email domain is blacklisted from logging
- There are no related records found to log the email to
- There is a validation rule in your Salesforce preventing the email from being logged
To see all emails that have succeeded in logging, and that have failed to log, you can click on the Activity Log icon in the Groove add-in from your inbox:
- If you see a red number, as in the screenshot above, the Activity Log will be automatically filtered to display the logging failures for you to review:
If the Activity Log doesn't show the failed email, and the common reasons above don't apply to a missing email, please send firstname.lastname@example.org an email with the Message ID of the missing email, and our team will investigate further!
To obtain the Message ID of an email, open the email in your Sent folder, open the Groove add-in, click the Settings icon in the bottom right, scroll down in the Settings, and double click the Message ID in the bottom left of the Settings to copy it to your clipboard:
Read Previous: Recommended Tricks and Tips for your Outlook Inbox
Read next: Tracking Emails for Opens, Clicks and Replies